There’s infection-causing bacteria living in the ice in your drink, and the only surefire way to kill it is with whiskey. Not vodka, and not some other spirit or mixer. Just whiskey.
A study recently published in the medical journal Springer examined the types of bacteria that can survive in ice. The bad news is that 31 species of bacteria were found in bar ice—including infectious Pseudomonas (can cause skin and lung infections), Staphylococcus (responsible for Staph infections), Bacillus (guilty for food poisoning symptoms) and Acinetobacter (can cause pneumonia and meningitis).