It might seem strange to use a full measure of Angostura bitters in a cocktail, but we assure you that it works wonders as the main ingredient in this custardy Flip. A touch of peppery rye whiskey and a floral honey syrup make this wintery dessert cocktail rich, subtly bitter and intoxicatingly robust—almost like a chai tea latte, but with a much stronger kick.
1.5 oz Angostura Bitters
0.5 oz Overproof Rye Whiskey
0.5 oz honey syrup
1 Whole Egg
- Add the Angostura bitters, overproof rye whiskey, honey syrup and egg to a shaker tin with no ice. Dry shake for at least one minute.
- Crack the shaker tin and add cubed ice. Shake for at least one minute more.
- Using a Hawthorne strainer, strain the cocktail into a footed cordial glass.
- Garnish with freshly grated cinnamon.
1 Cup honey
1 Cup water
- Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until honey dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.