Fall cocktails are often stirred and strong and rarely involve more than one or two ice cubes. But The Lately’s Bench Warmer pours an avalanche of crushed ice, and a good measure of beer, over that stereotype. Made for a group (like a Scorpion Bowl), the large format beer slushie pairs richly tropical Plantation Pineapple Rum with earthy rosemary syrup, wheat beer and a couple of dashes of savory Maggi sauce for depth. Served in a pitcher with a fistful of straws, it’s the ultimate fall party drink. Of course, you can pour it into glasses if you absolutely must—but where’s the fun in that?
The Bench Warmer
3 oz Pineapple Rum
2 oz lime juice
2 oz Rosemary Syrup
2 dashes Maggi Sauce
Rosemary Sprig, for garnish
- Add rum, lime juice, rosemary syrup and Maggi sauce to a pitcher and fill with crushed ice.
- Top with wheat beer and garnish with a big rosemary sprig.
- Pour into glasses, or serve with a bunch of straws.
.25 Cup rosemary leaves
1 Cup water
1 Cup sugar
- Combine water, sugar, rosemary in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from heat and let syrup steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain out leaves, and store in airtight container in fridge.