Created by mezcal company Gem & Bolt, this bright, fruity take on spiked horchata calls for their subtly smoky spirit, which is uniquely distilled with damiana, an ancient Mexican herb often used as an aphrodisiac and a holistic anti-depressant. China-China, a bitter, citrusy amaro made with cinchona bark, plays up the herbal notes in the mezcal, while muddled pineapple gives the drink a tropical edge. It’s perfect sipped on a sweltering day spent on a blazing beach or just in your backyard.
Mezcal Mama Horchata
Gem & Bolt
1.5 oz Gem & Bolt
1.5 oz Almond Horchata
0.5 oz Fresh lime juice
0.5 oz Demerara Syrup
3 1-inch pieces Fresh Pineapple
0.5 oz China-China Amer
2 to 4 drops Pink salt solution (2 parts water to 1 part salt)
Bouquet of mint, for garnish
- In a pint glass, muddle the fresh pineapple.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (save for the mint) to the glass along with a small amount of crushed ice.
- Top the pint glass with a shaker tin (to make a Boston shaker) and whip shake.
- Double strain into a double old-fashioned glass.
- Top with crushed ice and garnish with a bouquet of fresh mint.
Gem & Bolt Horchata Recipe
1 Cup Almond Milk
0.5 Cup Raw Pecans
0.5 tsp grated cinnamon
- Soak the raw pecan halves in the almond milk for 6 hours with the cinnamon.
- Blend the mixture in a blender until the pecans are broken up into small pieces.
- Strain through cheesecloth-lined colander or nut milk bag into a pitcher.
- Store in refrigerator until using.
1 Cup Demerara Sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and demerara sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (something clear to show off your nice golden syrup) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.