A blueberry pie, fresh from the oven, is one of the summer’s great treats, each bite filled with bright pops of tart, blueberry goodness. In order to transform that delectable dessert into a cocktail we can enjoy all year round, we looked to the Bourbon Buck (essentially a bourbon Moscow Mule) for inspiration. The vanilla-sweetness of bourbon and gingery kick of craft ginger beer mimic the pie’s buttery crust, while a homemade blueberry syrup and lemon juice replicate the tart filling. Vibrantly blue, the cocktail tastes just as delicious as it looks.
2 oz Bourbon
0.75 oz Blueberry Syrup
0.5 oz Lemon Juice
Mint, for garnish
Blueberry on a pick, for garnish
- Add the bourbon, blueberry syrup and lemon juice to a shaker tin. Shake.
- Using a Hawthorne strainer, strain the cocktail into a Collins glass with fresh ice.
- Top with ginger beer and stir to incorporate.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and a blueberry on a pick.
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup Water
0.5 oz Blueberries
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lemon zest and fresh blueberries.
- Bring the ingredients to a strong simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- If the blueberries don’t pop, gently mash them with a fork.
- Allow to sit overnight in the refrigerator and cool.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve. Refrigerate until using.