Red wine inspires such an intense devotion amongst its fans that doing anything other than drinking it straight from the bottle can seem sacrilegious. Thankfully, there’s not even a bottle to drink from when it comes to Franzia, and it doesn’t get more affordable than the dirt cheap box-o-wine. You can feel guilt-free about transforming a box of Merlot or Chillable Red into a platter of Jello Shots, enhanced with some simple syrup and fresh lemon juice. These are exactly what your next party needs or, more likely, your next boxed wine and “night cheese” sesh on the couch.
Boxed Red Wine Jello Shots
Franzia Red Wine
.5 Cup Franzia Red Wine
2 oz fresh Lemon Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 packet gelatin
1 Cup Boiling Water
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice, simple syrup and red wine together, and chill in fridge.
- Pour gelatin into a different bowl and top with boiling water. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved, then stir in the chilled wine mixture.
- Divide into plastic shot glasses and set for at least 2 hours in the fridge until firm.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.