If you were born in the ‘80s, you are already familiar with the majesty that is the Choco Taco. For those unacquainted with what is, quite possibly, the greatest ice cream treat ever created, the Choco Taco consists of a waffle cone taco shell filled with vanilla ice cream and dipped in chocolate fudge and peanuts. The only thing better than the original is this boozy shot-tail made in its honor. A mix of dark rum, chocolate vodka and homemade peanut orgeat, it’s delectably salty, sweet and quaffable. For added effect, serve the shot in a fudge-dipped waffle cone, then eat the booze-soaked cone as a chaser.
Choco Taco Shot-tail
1.5 oz dark rum
0.5 oz Vodka
0.5 oz Amaro Di Angostura
0.5 oz Orgeat
4-8 Squares Baker’s Chocolate
- Place bakers chocolate cubes in a glass mixing bowl.
- Microwave chocolate for 15-second intervals, removing and stirring between cycles until the chocolate is hot and completely melted.
- Dip a waffle cone in the hot chocolate sauce.
- Cool the cone in the refrigerator until the chocolate sauce hardens.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the dark rum, chocolate vodka, amaro and orgeat with cubed ice. Shake.
- Using a Hawthorne strainer, strain the cocktail into the chocolate dipped cone.
- To drink, shoot the shot, then eat the cone.
2 cups raw peanuts
1.5 cups Cane Sugar
1.5 cups Water
1 tsp Salt
- Blanch peanuts by dropping them into a pot of boiling water. Remove them almost immediately and rinse with cold water to prevent from cooking.
- In a blender, puree blanched peanuts with water and let sit overnight.
- Squeeze the peanut mixture through a cheesecloth or jelly bag. You just made peanut milk!
- Pour 1.5 cups peanut milk and 1.5 cups sugar into a pot.
- Heat mixture to a low simmer and stir to fully dissolve the sugar into the peanut milk.
- Let cool, then whisk in salt and refrigerate.