In this take on a Lion’s Tail—an early 20th century tipple—boxed apple juice takes on a powerful mix of scotch, Applejack and bourbon. The peat-heavy Black Bottle blended scotch perks up the sweet bourbon, while Applejack gives the apple juice some extra heft. The combo lands the little pugilist in a whole new weight class.
Apple juice box
1 6.75-oz box Apple juice box
.75 oz Bourbon
.75 oz scotch
.75 oz Applejack
.25 oz allspice dram
.25 oz honey syrup
.75 oz lime juice
- Unfold the top of the apple juice box to access a clean edge to cut. Using scissors, cut horizontally along seam to open box.
- Add 1 oz apple juice to a shaker and discard remaining juice (or reserve for more drinks).
- Add remaining liquid ingredients to the shaker with ice, and shake.
- Strain back into the apple juice box.
- Garnish with an apple slice, and serve with the attached straw.
1 Cup honey
1 Cup water
- Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until honey dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.