Created by Hemant Pathak, bar manager at Junoon—one of New York’s most adventurous and creative Indian restaurants—this aperitif is like a clean-living Piña Colada. Made with a low proof ginger liqueur instead of rum, fresh cardamom and lime-infused coconut milk, the Coconut-Ginger Colada is rich and creamy, with no blender required. Perfect with spicy food, it’s light, refreshing and easy to drink down in no time at all. Luckily, thanks to its low-proof, you can have more than one without needing a poolside nap.
2 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
0.5 oz Lime-infused coconut milk
0.5 oz Fresh Lime Juice
o.25 oz Simple Syrup
Green Cardamom bean
2 small pieces fresh lemongrass, for garnish
Edible flower, for garnish
Lime-Infused Coconut Milk
Zest of one whole lime
500 ml Coconut Milk
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk over low heat.
- Add the lime zest and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the burner, cover the saucepan and let sit for a minimum of 4 hours. When the coconut milk is aromatic, the mixture is ready.
- Strain the infused coconut milk through a fine sieve, and store in a clean Mason jar in the refrigerator.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.