If you have fond memories of sipping Shirley Temples as a kid or still love the combination of sweet grenadine and spritzy lemon-lime soda, try bumping up the mocktail with some vodka for a sweet, citrusy highball. DrinksMadeEasy developed a grownup version of the childhood classic, which uses homemade lemon-lime mix and a lime wedge for garnish, in place of the traditional maraschino cherry, for a more refined drinking experience.
fresh lemon-lime mix
1.5 oz vodka
1 oz grenadine
.5 oz fresh lemon-lime mix
.5 oz lime juice
2 oz simple syrup
Lime wedge, for garnish
- Make lemon-lime mix by stirring together the lemon juice, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Fill a highball glass with ice, and add grenadine, lemon-lime mix and vodka.
- Top with soda.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.