Don’t be ashamed if you’ve never tasted dragon fruit. Not only does this Asian fruit look like an alien egg from outer space, but at about $5 a piece, the fruit can be a little intimidating to purchase. We assure you though, dragon fruits are well worth the price (and risking having an alien hatch in your kitchen). With a flavor similar to a kiwi, these light, refreshing fruits are extremely high in vitamin C (10 percent of your daily requirement), antioxidants, fatty acids, protein and carotene. While they are delectable on their own, we find their speckled flesh even better mixed up into a health-conscious cocktail. Best of all, if you scoop them out carefully enough, you can use the exotic, bright pink hull of the fruit as your cocktail glass.
Enter the Dragon Fruit
1.5 oz Vodka
1 Dragon Fruit
0.25 Cup raspberries
0.25 Cup crushed ice
0.5 oz coconut water
0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz Agave Syrup
- Slice the top off a dragon fruit and set aside.
- Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh of the fruit and put it into a blender. Be extra careful not to damage the exterior of the fruit.
- Add the vodka, raspberries, coconut water, lime, agave and crushed ice to the blender with the dragon fruit.
- Blend until emulsified.
- Pour the blended cocktail into the fruit and serve with a straw.
1 Cup water
1 Cup agave nectar
- Combine the water and agave nectar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until nectar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.