Let’s get one thing straight: A Fizz isn’t just a Sour topped off with carbonated water—it includes egg whites. The Gin Fizz is a delightful example of this classic cocktail made with fresh lemon juice, frothy egg white and London Dry gin. Getting a perfectly foamy head requires some hard shaking so great ready for a workout.
- Add all ingredients except for the lemon wedge and soda into a shaker tin.
- Dry shake the ingredients in the tin for at least one minute to emulsify the egg whites.
- Add ice to the tin and shake for an additional minute.
- Strain into a highball glass and add fresh ice.
- Top with soda and stir gently to incorporate the ingredients.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve.
Mix it Up
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Named after a private Philadelphia club where it was the drink of choice for the filthy rich of 1882, the Clover Club predates Prohibition and is Philly’s best known contribution to the cocktail canon. Mark Twain once visited the Clover Club and became a great admirer of the signature cocktail and its ameliorative powers. "At first I thought thes...