As the newest addition to Austin Eastciders’ craft cider lineup, Ruby Red Grapefruit is light and refreshing with a slightly tart flavor that’s perfect for oppressively hot summer days. In addition to their original cider base, which is made with European cider apples, they use ruby red grapefruit juice from the Texas Rio Grande Valley to make the crisp libation. Turns out, its tangy citrus flavor plays really well in long, refreshing cocktails. “The bright and crisp grapefruit flavor and mild sweetness of Austin Eastciders Ruby Red Grapefruit makes it perfect for making tall, summery cocktails like this Paloma,” says Jason Stevens, bartender at Boiler Nine in Austin, Texas. Grassy tequila, bittersweet Aperol and tart lime juice join the cider in this lightly effervescent drink, which strikes a perfect flavor balance. When garnished with a bright lime wedge, it’s one of the most ‘Grammable cocktails of the season.
The Eastciders Paloma
Ruby Red Grapefruit Cider
3 oz Austin Eastciders Ruby Red Grapefruit Cider
1.5 oz Blanco Tequila
.5 oz Aperol
.25 oz Lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp Simple Syrup
Lime wedge, for garnish
- Fill a tall glass with crushed ice.
- Add tequila, Aperol, lime juice and simple syrup to the glass.
- Top with the cider and stir.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.