Grapefruit Oleo Saccharum
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
2 cups white sugar
1 Cup boiling water
- Peel the zest from the grapefruit in wide, fat swaths using a vegetable peeler (or Y-peeler if you have one), leaving the white pith behind. Place the peels in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the sugar on top of the grapefruit zest and stir to cover.
- Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and let the mixture sit for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator. The longer the peels steep, the more the flavor will intensify. A 24-hour steep time is optimum.
- After steeping, add the boiling water to the bowl and stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Strain the syrup through a fine sieve while hot to remove the peels. Bottle.
- The finished grapefruit oleo saccharum will keep for at least a month if stored in the fridge.