If you’re anything like us, you probably wish you were drinking outside at an Italian cafe or sipping an Aperol Spritz on the beaches of Capri instead of sitting under glaring fluorescent lights while staring at a computer screen. But even if the duties of life’s responsibilities have you tied down, this drink will transport you to the old country with a single sip. "The anise pairs well with the grappa, combining to create an aroma that’s special to Italy,” say Giorgia Zedda and Luca Fadda, the husband and wife team behind NYC’s beloved Epistrophy. “In fact, there are many Italian liqueurs with similar flavors.” Grappa is the star of this cocktail, which is tempered with lime juice and sweet, floral St-Germain. The anise syrup is easy to make and will fill your home with the smell of the Italian countryside, which will help to tame your FOMO.
1.5 oz Gra’it grappa
1 oz Lime juice, freshly squeezed
.75 oz Anise Syrup
.25 oz St-Germain
Lime Wheel, for garnish
Rosemary Sprig, for garnish
Star anise pod, for garnish
1 Cup Water
1 Cup sugar
10 Star anise pods
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add star anise pods and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, allow to cool and steep for an hour.
- Double strain into a clean jar and store in the fridge.
Lemon Rosemary Salt
4 tbsp Sea salt
1 tbsp Rosemary
1 tbsp Lemon zest
- Add all ingredients to a mortar and finely grind with a pestle until the mix is uniform, fine and flaky. Alternatively, mix the ingredients in a small food processor.
- Cover loosely with a paper towel and let the mix dry at room temperature for 24 hours, stirring every few hours to keep mixture flaky.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.