This crowd-pleasing punch really will make everyone happy. Made with both tequila and vodka, along with spicy Ancho Reyes liqueur, lychee liqueur, fruity-floral hibiscus and tonic water, it appeals to pretty much everyone—except for folks who only drink straight whiskey, but even they’ll be convinced after a sip. Created by Tiffany Bayless, lead bartender at San Francisco’s International Smoke, the name of the punch not only alludes to the hit song from Bay Area hip hop duo Luniz, but also to the history and tradition of punch. “The word ‘punch’ comes from the Hindi word panc or panch, which means five,” Bayless says. “A true punch usually has five types of ingredients: alcohol, sweet, sour or citrus, spice, and water or ice.” It really makes you think about that song in a whole new way.
I Got Five On It
Hibiscus Infused Absolut Elyx vodka
Espolon Blanco Tequila
Fever Tree Tonic
5 oz Hibiscus Infused Absolut Elyx vodka
2.5 oz Espolon Blanco Tequila
2.5 oz Giffard Lichi-Li liqueur
1.25 oz Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur
3.75 oz Lime Juice
1.25 oz Simple Syrup
16 oz Fever Tree Tonic
- Add all ingredients into a punch bowl or other vessel, and fill with lots of ice.
- Stir to incorporate ingredients together.
- Server in glasses filled with fresh ice.
1 liter Absolut Elyx
.25 Cup Hibiscus Flowers
- Add hibiscus flowers to vodka and let infuse for 12 hours.
- Strain and use vodka in cocktails.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.