Turmeric’s intense color and flavor can be overwhelming, so many bartenders choose to pit it against equally robust ingredients in order to achieve a delicious balance. This cocktail, dreamt up by Ray Sakover of New York’s Slowly Shirley, pairs turmeric juice with bold flavors inspired by North African cuisine. “I naturally gravitated towards sweet date and sour lemon, adding turmeric and harissa to give the cocktail depth,” says Sakover. The complex drink is underlined by a base of grassy golden rum and herbaceous gin, and topped off with an appropriately spiced, quirky garnish: a cinnamon and mint palm tree.
1 oz gold rum
.75 oz fresh Lemon Juice
.5 tsp turmeric juice
.25 oz honey
2/3 oz Moroccan syrup
1 oz date demerara syrup
Cinnamon and mint palm tree, for garnish
3 oz Lemon Juice
2 tsp turmeric juice
1 oz honey
- Add all ingredients to a jar and seal tightly.
- Shake until the honey is fully combined.
21 oz dates
8.5 oz Demerara Sugar
42 oz Water
.25 tsp harissa
- Combine the dates and water in blender and blend until smooth.
- Fine strain the mixture and discard the pulp.
- Add demerara sugar to the mixture and let sit until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add harissa and mix thoroughly.