The Japanese Highball is not your average Whiskey Soda. This is a cocktail made with a fastidious attention to detail, zen-like focus and the highest quality ingredients. Bartenders use block ice, which they carve into perfect cubes and stir in a glass until frost appears. After pouring out any excess water, the glass and ice is finally ready for the whiskey, which the bartender stirs with the ice for precisely 13 times before adding more ice and topping everything off with soda water. The result is more art than cocktail.
- Place one large cube of ice in a highball glass. Stir until a frost appears on the glass. Pour off any excess water.
- Add one more cube of ice, then add the whiskey to the glass.
- Stir exactly 13 times clockwise.
- Place another cube of ice in the glass (the ice should fill the highball at this point).
- Top with soda water and stir three times to incorporate.
A refreshing happy hour staple, the Highball cocktail is simple—all you need are two ounces of your favorite spirit and some soda water to get it right. We like ours with whiskey, but feel free to try it with gin, tequila or anything else that tickles your fancy. If you feel like getting a little crazy, try infusing your choice of spirit bef...