Mulled wine is the perfect cocktail for the winter. It’s warming, boozy and easy to make. All you need is a bottle of fruity red wine (try something big and sassy like an Italian Barbera or a California Zinfandel), a decent brandy, baking spices and a little patience. To make this jiggly version, swap mulled wine’s typical measure of citrus for orange Jell-O, creating a shootable wine-tail that’s destined to be a hit at holiday parties.
Mulled Wine Jello Shots
3 Whole Black peppercorns
3 Whole Cloves
1 Star Anise Pod
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 cup Red Wine
1 cup Boiling Water
0.5 Cup brandy
0.5 cup Cold Water
1 packet Orange Jell-O
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
- Bundle cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and star anise in cheesecloth and tie together.
- In a saucepan, add the wine and spice packet. Cook on low for 1 hour, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Allow the spice mixture to infuse overnight in the refrigerator before removing.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the two Jell-O powders with boiling water until all of the mix is dissolved.
- Add the brandy, mulled wine and cold water to the mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mix into the plastic shot glasses until they’re three-quarters full.
- Chill for two hours, or until the mix is set.