While the original Milk Punch was birthed in England, New Orleans adopted it as its own. Now, it can be found on menus in bars and restaurants across the French Quarter and beyond. At SoBou, bar chef Laura Bellucci respects faithful stalwarts serving up the OG version, but prefers to have a little fun with her own recipe. Inspired by the milky base, Bellucci added dairy’s perfect partner, cereal, to the mix. She infuses rum with Honey Nut Cheerios, then sweetens the pot with a few dashes of Holiday Pie Bitters, and garnishes each serving with a skewer of Cheerios. “It’s a little spiced, creamy, breakfast treat,” she says. “Tastes like grown-up cereal milk.”
Honey Buzz Milk Punch
1.5 oz Cheerio-infused rum
.75 oz honey syrup
2 oz Whole Milk
2 dashes El Guapo Holiday Pie Bitters
Cheerios, crushed for rim, plus extra for skewer garnish
Cinnamon and sugar, for rim
Honey Nut Cheerio-Infused Rum
2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
1 750-mL bottle dark rum
- Add cereal to rum and let sit for 2-3 days.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and store at room temp until ready to use.
1 Cup honey
1 Cup water
- Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until honey dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.