Inspired by classic tiki cocktails, this showstopper of a drink is served in a hollowed out pineapple rather than the traditional Polynesian mug. While it takes a little extra effort to core the pineapple, juice the fruit and craft your pineapple mug, we promise it’s worth it. The bright acidity of fresh pineapple juice boosts the deliciousness in ways canned pineapple never could. Plus, there’s nothing more fun that drinking a boozy cocktail straight out of a pineapple.
La Piña Loca
2 oz Dark Rum
1 oz Gin
0.75 oz Honey Syrup
1 oz pineapple juice
0.75 oz Fresh lime juice
0.5 oz Black Walnut liqueur
2 dashes bitters
1 oz Soda Water
- Cut the top of the pineapple off and reserve the leaves.
- Using a sharp knife, run the blade in a circular motion along the inside of the pineapple, about half an inch in from the outer skin.
- Once you’ve cut a complete circle, use your knife to cut across the inside core twice, making four pieces.
- Scoop out the cut fruit with a large spoon and reserve both the hollow pineapple and the fruit that you removed.
1 Cup honey
1 Cup water
- Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until honey dissolves, about 2 minutes. Immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.