“Nashville summers are very hot,” says Matt Tocco, the beverage director at Nashville’s Pinewood Social. To combat the heat, he combined two warm weather cocktails into the ultimate weapon: frozen Sangria. A perfect poolside sipper, this Sangria blends fruity red wine with citrus juices, dry curaçao, Applejack, St-Germain and—something you don’t often see on Supercall—Sprite. It’s a frosty pink glassful of sweet heat-relief.
Pinewood Social Sangria
1 750-mL bottle Wine
8 oz Laird's Applejack
16 oz Fresh Orange Juice
8 oz Grapefruit Juice
16 oz Simple Syrup
8 oz St-Germain
6 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
16 oz Sprite
30 oz Water
.5 oz Orange Blossom Water
- Pour all of the ingredients except ice into a large container and stir to combine.
- Blend with ice in batches until slushy. Serve in tumblers or pool-friendly plastic cups.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.