This prickly pear syrup lets you infuse any drink with the juice (and joy) of the bright pink fruit. It stars in the Prickly Pear Margarita.
Prickly Pear Syrup
4 prickly pears
1 Cup sugar
.5 Cup water
- Scrape off the thorns of the prickly pears and cut off the ends. Make a lengthwise slit through the skin, then peel off and discard the skin.
- Transfer prickly pears to a food processor and process until pureed. Strain the pear puree, pressing the solids to release juice.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine prickle pear puree, water and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer syrup to jar and allow to cool in fridge entirely.