The elegant Old Fashioned is always a perfect cocktail to sip during happy hour, especially if you prefer your first drink of the evening to be a stiff one. But there’s nothing wrong with adding a fun twist to a serious libation, especially if it incorporates a lively seasonal ingredient. This variation from Arley Marks of New York’s Dimes not only calls for an easy-to-make pumpkin syrup, but Marks also serves the drink in a hollowed-out mini pumpkin. Serve it to kick off a dinner party or a fall weekend getaway—or overshadow the roast turkey at Thanksgiving. If you don’t have the time or patience to carve a pumpkin into a glass, a lowball will do just fine.
Haunted Old Fashioned
2 oz bourbon
.75 oz pumpkin syrup
4 dashes bitters
4 dashes orange bitters
2 orange peels
- Express orange peels into a shaker tin and drop in.
- Add bourbon, pumpkin syrup and bitters to the shaker, and shake with ice.
- Strain into a mini pumpkin filled with fresh ice.
- Top with a splash of soda water and garnish with a handful of candy corn.
1 Cup pumpkin juice
1 Cup evaporated cane sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine pumpkin juice and organic evaporated cane sugar with whole cinnamon sticks. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Strain. Let cool before using.