“Tiki is playful and unexpected and I thought Jäger would be a great fit,” says Sother Teague of New York’s Amor y Amargo. “Jäger is layered with lots of grapefruit, clove and, ginger—all of which are found in tiki drinks.” His spicy-sweet cocktail, which combines Jägermeister, ginger, aged rum and orgeat, is a perfect alternative for Dark and Stormy lovers looking for a cocktail with more of a kick.
1 oz Jägermeister
1 oz aged rum
.75 oz ginger syrup
.75 oz orgeat
.75 oz lemon juice
2-3 Heavy dashes of Peychaud's bitters
- Pour all of the ingredients except for the bitters into a shaker tin.
- Add a few pebbles of ice and shake to aerate and chill.
- Fill a double old-fashioned glass with pebble ice and strain the cocktail into the glass using a Hawthorne strainer.
- Mound more pebble ice on top like a snow cone and "paint" with Peychaud's bitters.
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Ginger
1 Bay Leaf
0.5 tbsp Black Pepper
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight. Strain with a fine sieve the next day.
- Makes approx. 2 cups of syrup.