As the Cuba Libre proves, rum and Coke were destined for each other. Add a little lime and you have yourself a masterpiece. We were happy to discover that adding gelatin didn’t change the drink’s flavor chemistry at all. If this is your go-to on a night out, give the Highball a rest, and slurp down a Cuba Libre with a little more bounce in its step.
Cuba Libre Jello Shot
.5 cup Coca-Cola, chilled
1 tbsp lime juice
1 .25-oz packet Knox unflavored gelatin
.75 cup boiling Coca-Cola
.33 cup rum
- Pour the chilled Coca-Cola and lime juice in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the Knox unflavored gelatin over top and let sit for one minute.
- Boil the remaining Coca-Cola and pour it over top the gelatin mixture. Stir well until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Add the rum and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into plastic shot glasses and refrigerate until set (about 2.5 hours).