Coffee cocktails do double duty at the brunch table, giving you both a much-needed caffeine jolt and a hair-of-the-dog buzz that makes last night’s festivities seem like a distant memory. And at Estrella in Los Angeles, they make a darn good one. “The Breakfast Club comes as a result of our love and passion for great coffee here at Estrella,” general manager Fred Ghiassi says. “We started with the idea of introducing our draft nitro brew into a cocktail, which developed into a commitment to creating a perfect breakfast experience through a beverage.” Frothy egg whites and crispy candied bacon make this drink simply irresistible, especially when paired with one of the restaurant’s delectable brunch dishes.
The Breakfast Club
2 oz Rum
1 oz egg white
.5 oz Maple Syrup
2 dashes coffee bitters
coffee ice cubes
1 oz cold brew coffee
- Add coffee ice cubes to a rocks glass.
- Add the aged rum, egg white, maple syrup and coffee bitters to a cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake until the ingredients are emulsified.
- Strain over coffee ice cubes and top with the cold brew.
Orange Zest Bacon
Zest from 1 orange
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 pound bacon
- Add the water and sugar to a saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the orange zest. Let sit until cool.
- Lightly drizzle the syrup over the bacon (you might have some left over) and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.