Crispy, fried citrus slices often appear on the sidelines of calamari or frito misto platters, but we think they deserve to play a starring role. So we doused some in booze and pointed them in the direction of the spotlight. In this edible, sweet-tart take on the Salty Dog, vodka-soaked grapefruit slices take a dip in simple syrup and flour, before a hot, bubbly bath in oil. They’re even finished off with a sprinkling of sea salt. They make for the perfect poolside snack or picnic munchie.
Deep Fried Salty Dog Shots
2 cups Vodka
1 Cup Simple Syrup
2/3 Cup flour
2 tsp sea salt
- Soak grapefruit slices in vodka for at least an hour or until they reach the desired level of booziness.
- After the grapefruit is done soaking, dip the slices in simple syrup. Lay them on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess moisture.
- Add 2 inches of oil to a deep fryer or high-sided pan and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dip each slice in the flour and shake lightly to remove the excess.
- Gently add the grapefruit slices to the hot oil and fry until they’re golden on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove grapefruit and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all slices have been battered and fried.
- Sprinkle the fried grapefruit with salt and serve.