Sparkling wine has the power to class-up anything, whether you pour it into a Guinness or add it to a Rum & Coke. Bartender Luis Serrano of The Penrose in NYC had the same idea when he decided to mix bubbly with Malibu. "The cocktail [Beautiful Audrey] is a version of the Old Cuban by Audrey Sanders of Pegu Club and Clover Club,” he says. “The inspiration came after learning that Clover just celebrated its 10th anniversary, which is quite rare in this industry." He mixes coconut rum with muddled mint and blueberries, fresh lime juice and Angostura bitters for depth and balance. The resulting cocktail is impressive enough to serve to your most highbrow friends, but it’s also easy drinking for cocktail newbies.
1.5 oz Malibu Rum
.75 oz Fresh lime juice
.5 oz Simple Syrup
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
6 Mint Leaves
Cava, to top
- Add the rum, mint and eight blueberries to a mixing tin and muddle.
- Add the lime juice, simple syrup, bitters and ice.
- Shake and double strain into a coupe glass. Top with Cava. Garnish with remaining five blueberries on a skewer.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.