“Vodka Cran with a splash of soda” is the go-to order for many neophyte drinkers. But you’ve never had one like this before. Instead of the usual cranberry juice, we swapped in a spiced-cranberry syrup. Inspired by a classic recipe for homemade cranberry sauce, the syrup includes orange zest, cinnamon, allspice and a touch of Gran Marnier for a boozy, citrusy kick. Stirred with vodka and soda water, it becomes the ultimate fall highball.
Spiced-Cranberry Vodka Soda
2 oz Vodka
1 oz Spiced-Cranberry Syrup
Lime Wheel, For Garnish
- Add the vodka and spiced-cranberry syrup to a highball glass.
- Add ice and top with soda water.
- Stir with a bar spoon to incorporate, and garnish with a lime wheel.
1.5 Cup Orange Juice
0.5 Cup Grand Marnier
1 Cup Demerara Sugar
3 Cinnamon Sticks
6 Whole Cloves
6 Allspice Berries, slightly crushed or muddled
cups 2 Fresh Cranberries
Zest from 1 orange
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries begin to soften and pop, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and muddle the cranberries into the syrup to extract their juice.
- Allow to cool and strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve.
- Refrigerate before serving.