Strawberries and rhubarb are a match made in pie heaven; the sweet-grassy red berries are the perfect foil to tart, bitter rhubarb. To replicate the classic early summer dessert in a cocktail, we combined Zucca Rabarbaro, a rich, vegetal amaro from Italy, with the mellow fruitiness of homemade strawberry syrup. Gin and a touch of dry vermouth soften the amaro’s bitter flavors, while fresh lemon brightens everything up. It’s easier and, dare we say, better than pie.
Strawberry Rhubarb Martini
London Dry Gin
2 oz London Dry Gin
0.75 oz Zucca
0.75 oz Vermouth
0.75 oz Lemon Juice
0.75 oz Strawberry syrup
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker tin with ice and shake.
- Using a Hawthorne strainer, strain the cocktail into a chilled coupe glass.
0.5 Cup Strawberries
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup water
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Do not remove the strawberries.
- Infuse for 24 hours.
- Strain out the strawberries using a colander or fine sieve.
- Bottle and refrigerate syrup until using.