A riff on the beloved tiki-classic, the Missionary's Downfall, this icy, slushy cocktail invokes the tangy-savory flavors of Thai cuisine. There’s fresh Thai basil, which adds vibrant, spicy depth; dark and rich coconut sugar; and bright, sour lemongrass. Blended with crushed ice, this tropical cocktail gets an extra kick from both a white rum and a brazenly funky Rhum Agricole. Sip it solo or with a bowl of tom yum.
Thai Basil Rum Slushie
thai basil leaves
.5 oz Rhum JM Blanc
2 oz Flor De Cana White Rum
.75 oz lemongrass syrup
.5 oz fresh lemon juice
.5 cup crushed ice
10 fresh, large Thai basil leaves cut into long, thin strips, for garnish
- Add all ingredients, except for the basil, to a blender.
- Pour into a Collins glass or tall tiki mug, and garnish with the basil chiffonade.
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup water
1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- In a saucepan, add the coconut sugar, water and lemongrass.
- Heat until the sugar dissolves completely and the syrup has a strong aroma of lemongrass (do not boil).
- Let the syrup cool overnight with the lemongrass in the syrup.
- The next day, strain the syrup through a fine sieve to remove the lemongrass. Makes approximately 2 cups.