A riff on the beloved tiki-classic, the Missionary's Downfall, this icy, slushy cocktail invokes the tangy-savory flavors of Thai cuisine. There’s fresh Thai basil, which adds vibrant, spicy depth; dark and rich coconut sugar; and bright, sour lemongrass. Blended with crushed ice, this tropical cocktail gets an extra kick from both a white rum and a brazenly funky Rhum Agricole. Sip it solo or with a bowl of tom yum.
Thai Basil Rum Slushie
thai basil leaves
.5 oz Rhum Agricole
2 oz Flor De Cana White Rum
.75 oz Lemongrass Syrup
.5 oz lemon juice
.5 Cup crushed ice
10 thai basil leaves
- Add all ingredients, except for the basil, to a blender.
- Pour into a Collins glass or tall tiki mug, and garnish with the basil chiffonade.
1 Cup coconut sugar
1 Cup water
- In a saucepan, add the coconut sugar, water and lemongrass.
- Heat until the sugar dissolves completely and the syrup has a strong aroma of lemongrass (do not boil).
- Let the syrup cool overnight with the lemongrass in the syrup.
- The next day, strain the syrup through a fine sieve to remove the lemongrass. Makes approximately 2 cups.