Avocado smoothies are all the rage, especially among the health-conscious crowd at vegetarian tapas bar Ladybird in New York’s Greenwich Village. There, beverage director Ariel Arce satisfies her customers’ green juice craving with a light Champagne-spiked avocado slushy, enriched with shiso syrup and brightened with cucumber juice. It may not be paleo, but it’s so good, you won’t regret blending yourself a second one for a bottomless avocado brunch.
3 oz Champagne
1 oz shiso syrup
.25 oz cucumber
1.5 shiso leaves, divided
- Add all ingredients (including half of a shiso leaf) to a blender with crushed ice, and blend to a smooth consistency, somewhere between a smoothie and a slushy.
- Pour into a milkshake glass.
- Garnish with a shiso leaf, and serve with a straw.
Rich Shiso Syrup
1 Cup sugar
5-6 fresh green shiso leaves
.5 Cup water
- In a blender, combine sugar and shiso leaves.
- Add sugar-shiso mixture to water in a saucepan and bring to a light simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a storage container.