When pumpkin spice season comes to an end, it’s time for gingerbread. Sweet, spicy and comforting, gingerbread is the edible embodiment of holiday cheer. But if you’d rather drink your yuletide spirit, we have you covered with this warming cocktail—no stressful, collapsing gingerbread houses required. This drink is just a tasty mix of hot coffee, homemade gingerbread syrup (made with dark molasses, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks, vanilla and a healthy zing of fresh ginger) and Cognac. Topped off with Baileys Irish Cream and fresh, ginger-and-cinnamon-spiced whipped cream, it’s a winter wonderland in a mug.
The Best Spiked Gingerbread Latté
2 oz Cognac
6 oz coffee
1.5 oz gingerbread syrup
1 oz Baileys
- In a glass mug, add the Cognac and gingerbread syrup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the coffee into the mug and top with Baileys Irish Cream. Stir gently.
- Top with ginger-cinnamon spiced whipped cream. Sip merrily.
1 Cup water
1 Cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 inch ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, being careful not to burn the sugar.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Strain into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Ginger-Cinnamon Spiced Whipped Cream
1 Cup cream
2 tbsp sugar
.25 tsp cinnamon
sprinkle of ginger
- Place a metal mixing bowl and whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After removing the bowl, add sugar, spices and cream.
- Whisk until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Chill until using.