Few things have the power of sweet watermelon, with its tender pulp and electric-hued juice, to bring relief on a blazingly hot day. Angela Montesclaros, who is the general manager and runs bar operations at Henry’s Majestic in Dallas, couldn’t agree more. “Watermelon is the perfect summer fruit, as it contains high water content that aids in cocktail dilution and natural sweetness,” she says. “By pairing the Watermelon Swizzle with basil, it gives the cocktail earthy aromatics and helps visualize the colors of a whole watermelon.” Montesclaros combines Plantation 3-Star Rum and Aperol to give this drink a fruity depth that still has the power to keep you cool, even as the mercury rises. Crushed ice makes it extra frosty and gulpable, so be sure to use it for the drink, if possible.
4 Basil Leaves, plus more for garnish
1.5 oz Plantation 3-Stars Artisanal Rum
1 oz watermelon juice
.75 oz Lime juice, freshly squeezed
.75 oz Simple Syrup
.5 oz Aperol
- Place basil leaves in the bottom of Collins glass. Gently press with a muddler twice.
- Add rum, watermelon and lime juices, and simple syrup to the glass, and fill with crushed ice.
- Using a bar spoon or swizzle stick, mix drink thoroughly.
- Top with fresh crushed ice and gently tap the ice with bar spoon to layer.
- Add Aperol and more crushed ice.
- Garnish with basil leaf.
1 Cup White sugar
1 Cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.