“Who doesn’t love watermelon in the summer? It’s so refreshing,” says Damien Del Rio, owner of Loosie Rouge in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood. This adult slushie is like an icy Caipirinha with a bright pink twist, and extra depth from silky, sweet vanilla syrup. At Loosie’s, Del Rio pairs the the cocktail with the restaurant’s crispy fried chicken. Channel that Southern vibe at home with a big blenderful of the watermelon slush and your own favorite recipe for the fried bird. Eat it cold, picnic style, on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
1 oz Cachaça
1.5 oz watermelon juice
.5 oz Fresh lime juice
.5 oz Vanilla syrup
1 Cup Ice
- Add all ingredients save for the garnish to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a Collins glass and garnish with an edible flower.
1 Cup water
1 Cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
- Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a strong simmer.
- Allow the mixture (including the vanilla bean) to cool overnight.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve and discard the vanilla bean.
- Refrigerate for up to two weeks.