We love adding a bit of tongue-numbing spice to tequila drinks, and this summer sipper is a prime example of a spicy tequila cocktail done right. Created by Ignacio Jimenez of NYC’s Ghost Donkey, this cooling watermelon cocktail gets a kick from bittersweet Campari and a spicy salt rim (we use Sriracha for a satisfying sweet heat). Throw it into the blender and you’ll have an icy cocktail that’s pool-ready and perfect for day drinking. We recommend serving it alongside a big plate of nachos, just like they do at GD.
1.75 oz Blanco tequila
1 oz watermelon purée
.5 oz Campari
.5 oz Strawberry syrup
Spicy salt rim
- Rim a glass in lime juice and then roll in the spicy salt.
- Combine tequila, watermelon and strawberry syrup in a blender with 2 cups of ice.
- Blend and pour into the rimmed glass.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice.
1 Cup strawberry purée
1 Cup water
2 cups sugar
- Combine fruit, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to incorporate purée and sugar.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 1-2 hours.
- Strain and store syrup in the refrigerator until ready to use.
4 tbsp Sea salt
1 tbsp Sriracha
- Mix salt and Sriracha together in a small bowl.
- Cover loosely with a paper towel and dry at room temperature for 24 hours. Stir every few hours to keep mixture flaky.
- When the salt mixture is dried, store in an airtight container.