Created by Blake Pope, beverage director at Kindred Restaurant in Davidson, North Carolina, this ruby port-enhanced Whiskey Sour transcends trends and seasons. “I use Quinta de Novol’s ruby port—a younger style that’s jammy and rich—which gives this cocktail loads of body,” Pope says. “The port also softens and sweetens a bracing combination of overproof rye whiskey, lemon juice and the bitter Italian digestif Cynar.” Shaken together, the cocktail is downright addictive and amazingly good with Southern food like fried chicken and country ham biscuits.
The Search & Rescue
1.25 oz Rye
.75 oz Ruby Port
.75 oz Lemon juice
.5 oz Simple Syrup
.5 oz Cynar
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a rocks glass.
1 cup White sugar
1 cup Water
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Let cool, then pour into a container (a Mason jar works nicely) and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.