This fizzy, frothy beer-based punch was based on a recipe from Jerry Thomas’s Bartenders Guide. Originally, the recipe called for a syrup made with an obscure ingredient called maidenhair fern, which we subbed out for an easy-to-make orange blossom-cinnamon syrup. Yuengling Lager gives the punch a heady, malty sweetness and effusive spritz.
Strong Ale Punch
Cognac or Brandy
2 Quarts Lager
4 oz fresh Lemon Juice, strained through a fine sieve
4 oz Cinnamon-Orange Syrup
6 oz Dry White Wine
6 oz Cognac or Brandy
Grated Nutmeg, For Garnish
- Add all ingredients except the nutmeg and the lager to a punch bowl. Cover and refrigerate if you are serving the punch the next day.
- Before serving, pour in the lager and stir. Garnish with grated nutmeg and ladle into cups.
2 cups Demerara Sugar
1 Cup water
0.25 tsp Orange Flower Water
Peel from 1 orange
3 Cinnamon Sticks
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Refrigerate overnight before straining out the orange peels and cinnamon sticks.
- Makes approx. 3 cups